Recently, misleading rumors about renowned Bengali actor Ranjit Mallick being dead started circulating on social media and WhatsApp. This left many of his fans confused and searching for authentic information.
Ranjit Mallick is one of the most beloved actors in the Bengali film industry with a career spanning over 5 decades. He has delivered an array of memorable performances in critically acclaimed films like Interview, Shakha Proshakha, Mouchak, Shatru and more.
At 78 years old, Mallick is still actively acting in Bengali cinema. His latest releases include the 2022 film Aporajeyo and the recently released 2023’s romcom Love Marriage.
In this comprehensive article, we will uncover the truth behind the fake death news about Ranjit Mallick. We will explore his biography, illustrious career, current status and why he remains an important figure in Bengali culture.
Is Ranjit Mallick Dead or Alive? Debunking the Death Hoax
Ranjit Mallick is alive and well. The rumors about his death that spread on social media and WhatsApp have been confirmed as completely fake and fabricated.
The actor has not passed away due to any accident, health issues or COVID-19 as was falsely claimed in the misleading messages and posts. Authoritative sources have verified that Mallick is in good health and the death news is a mere hoax.
Mallick was recently seen acting in promotional events and interviews for his latest romcom release Love Marriage. This completely debunks the fake news being circulated about him being dead.
Fans of the actor can rest assured that Ranjit Mallick is doing perfectly fine and is engaged in his acting pursuits. The viral death news holds no truth.
Tracing Ranjit Mallick’s Biography – The Early Life of a Versatile Star
To understand Mallick’s enduring stardom, it is worthwhile to trace his early life and entry into cinema:
Ranjit Mallick was born on 28 September 1944 in Kolkata in the Mallick family of Bhawanipore, known for their Durga Puja celebrations. His father Upendra Chandra Mallick was a lawyer.
After graduating in Arts from the University of Calcutta, Mallick became interested in acting. His uncle introduced him to legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray.
Later, he met director Mrinal Sen who offered him his debut role in the acclaimed 1969 film Interview without even taking an audition. This shows the faith and promise the directors saw in the young Mallick.
Launching an Acting Career with Interview – Earning Global Recognition
Mrinal Sen gave Ranjit Mallick his career breakthrough with Interview in 1969. His raw, realistic performance earned him instant recognition:
Mallick portrayed an ordinary youth named Ranjit anxiously preparing for a job interview. Sen employed an improvisational, cinema verite style of filming creating a unique drama.
The unconventional role earned Mallick the Best Actor award at the 1971 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival putting him on the global stage.
Interview is considered one of the most groundbreaking films of Bengali cinema for its bold, experimental vision. And Mallick’s acting was central to its impact.
This international honor convinced Mallick to pursue an acting career. He convinced his initially reluctant family and never looked back again.
Becoming a Star – Delivering Memorable Performances over 5 Decades
After the success of his debut, Ranjit Mallick soon grew into a bankable star acting in over 100 Bengali films across various genres:
- In the 1970s, he became a popular romantic hero with hits like Mouchak, Swayamsiddha, and Raga Anuraag.
- In the 90s, Mallick acted in Satyajit Ray’s acclaimed social drama Shakha Proshakha portraying an insightful role.
- Since 1984’s action thriller Shatru, Mallick started getting praised for his roles as an action hero and “angry young man”.
- Mallick proved his versatility by excelling in commercial potboilers as well as art-house films over his 5 decade career.
- His films like Mouchak, Shatru and Nabab are considered classics of Bengali cinema that retain their charm even today.
Why is Ranjit Mallick Revered in Bengal Film Industry?
For his natural acting, versatility and charisma, Ranjit Mallick is revered as an all-time great in Bengal’s film circles:
- Mallick is admired for his nuanced performances that blend realism with entertainment value having mass appeal.
- He is credited for keeping Bengali cinema afloat after the demise of Uttam Kumar along with contemporary Prosenjit Chatterjee.
- His iconic dialogue delivery and unique action sequences as the “belt man” made him hugely popular.
- Mallick mastered both romantic and action oriented roles in his long career.
- Acting legends like Uttam Kumar and Soumitra Chatterjee praised Mallick’s dedication and skill.
- He received top honors like Banga Bibhushan Award acknowledging his tremendous contribution.
At 78 years old, Mallick continues to act with the same passion proving why he is called the evergreen hero of Bengali cinema.
Ranjit Mallick’s Latest Movies – Still Going Strong
Ranjit Mallick is active in Bengali films even today. Some of his notable recent releases include:
- Aporajeyo (2022) – A drama film directed by Aniket Chattopadhyay explores the relationship between a father and son. Mallick plays the role of the family patriarch.
- Kacher Manush (2022) – This Suspense thriller by Pathikrit Basu had Mallick portray an aged freedom fighter with a secret past.
- Love Marriage (2023) – Mallick stars alongside Aparajita Addhya and Ankush Hazra in this lighthearted romantic comedy film directed by P.B. Chaki.
- Ghosh Babur Retirement Plan (2023) – This comedy-drama web series created by Addatimes has Mallick playing the head of a dysfunctional family.
So even at 78 years old, Mallick continues to showcase his acting chops in diverse Bengali projects proving he is very much alive and working.
Why the Death Hoax Spread about Ranjit Mallick
Despite Mallick’s active career, what fueled the fake news of his death? Here are some factors:
- Mallick is 78 years old leading some to falsely presume he passed away.
- Given his huge popularity, some mischief-makers started spreading the rumor to gain attention.
- Mistaking him for a different celebrity with a similar name also sparked false messages.
- With social media it is easy to spread fake news far and wide very quickly.
- Mainstream media did not verify the news before reporting initially which fueled the hoax.
Responsible news outlets later clarified that Mallick is alive dismissing the death rumor unequivocally.
Ranjit Mallick Sets an Example with His Passion for Acting
Ranjit Mallick’s unflagging passion for acting and cinema makes him a true role model:
- He maintains a busy schedule acting in films and web series even at 78 years showing his dedication.
- In interviews, Mallick often sharesstories of learning from legends like Uttam Kumar demonstrating his humility.
- He believes in the power of cinema to make a positive impact on society beyond just entertainment.
- His advice to aspiring actors focuses on honing one’s craft above seeking fame and success.
- Even after huge success, Mallick remains grounded and approachable for co-stars and fans.
Ranjit Mallick’s tireless work ethic and love for acting puts to shame actors who call it quits early. He represents the aspirational best of Bengali cinema.
In conclusion, acclaimed veteran actor Ranjit Mallick is alive and active despite misleading death rumors about him:
- Authoritative sources have confirmed the death news is 100% fake with no truth behind it.
- Mallick was recently seen promoting his latest romcom film negating any doubt about his health status.
- At 78 years old, he continues his prolific acting career with the same dedication that has defined his 5 decade journey.
- His memorable performances, mass popularity and humility make him an all-time Bengali cinema great.
- Mallick serves as an inspirational figure due to his undying passion and commitment to his craft even at this age.
So Ranjit Mallick is definitely alive and well, entertaining his legions of fans. One can expect to see him enthral Bengali audiences with his acting talent for some more years to come.